Glimpses of Water

I feel at home near the water.  I've never been too far from it.  I grew up on a small, idyllic lake in a suburb of Seattle and I spent countless weekends and holidays up at a family cabin on Whidbey Island which is nestled in the waters of the Puget Sound.  I guess you could consider my college years in Walla Walla a bit of lapse--there were rivers (Walla Walla means "Place of Many Waters")--but I never spent much time on Walla Walla's river banks.  Still, something about field after rolling field of wheat under big expansive rural skies feels oceanic to me.  So I felt at home there, too.

There's so much I love about being near the water.  I love the different sounds of water as it moves--rushing, flowing, lapping, trickling.  I love its many colors--its neon starts and finishes, its brilliant blues and steely greys.  I love its varying texture--how the ocean can look like a smoothed out piece of crumpled tin foil or a lake can be so still that when you go to dive in, you could swear you're going to plunge right into the sky.

So it's no surprise that I love to photograph water.  In the last year I've probably taken thousands of pictures of water.  I've captured the Pacific Ocean from a dozen (or more) beaches along the Central Coast and I've studied the San Lorenzo River from every bridge in Santa Cruz.  I also have pictures of Cottage Lake, the Methow, the Puget Sound and Loch Lomond (among others).

This collection of photos is not just about bodies of water, though.  Specifically, it is of glimpses of water--photos not of the vast views we take in as we gaze out at the horizon but of the more zoomed in impressions we get as we glance down at water, in any of its varied forms . . .













Walking along the levee, exploring beach after beach--I feel at home here, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This Little Egge All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger