From the Fourth

A couple of months ago my mom and I shared a piece of tres leches cake from the Haute Enchilada in Moss Landing.  It was my first tres leches experience and I was impressed.  So was my mom.  In May, she tried her hand at baking her own tres leches cake--following Martha Stewart's recipe.  The cake received rave reviews. 

Martha's cake is topped with whipped cream and seasonal fruit (like fresh berries) and it immediately came to mind when I started thinking about Fourth of July fare.  In the spirit of red, white and blue desserts, I picked out strawberries, blueberries and blackberries and arranged my berry toppings in the likeness of an American flag.  The cake was definitely tasty but it was a little on the dense side (and incredibly rich!).  Good thing I ran the Firecracker 10k on Fourth of July morning!

Below are a few photos from this year's Fourth:

C & Cake
Red, White and Blueberries
Fourth of July Spirit: Pre-Race and Post Cake Baking (photos from C's phone)               
This year we celebrated Independence Day by running a (hilly) 10k, dressing patriotically, baking and decorating a flag cake, grilling with friends and venturing down to Seabright beach to catch some of the (unauthorized) fireworks which are set off along the water.  I missed celebrating the Fourth on Whidbey Island but I couldn't really complain . . . Food, friends and fireworks--it was a pretty good day!  I hope everyone else had a Happy Fourth! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This Little Egge All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger